National Skyscaper Day

By Zury - September 03, 2021

Happy National Skyscraper Day everyone! In honor of this day, I will be posting some photos from one of my absolute favorite cities of all time that is just covered with skyscrapers: New York City. 

When I think of New York City, I think of freedom. Not the typical freedom you're probably thinking. The first time I went to NYC was back in the Summer of 2013 and it was my very first trip being on my own, without either of my parents. Thankfully it wasn't my last time there. I ended up going back that same year in the Fall (my first experience with Fall, which began my obsession with the season) for a photo conference, and then again in the Summer of 2015. Many of the photos below are scattered throughout these years. 

Please Note: If you would like to purchase any of the photos in this post as an art print or on home/office decor items, please visit the collection in my shop here:  New York Photography Collection

New York City is the city of skyscrapers not only in buildings but in amazingly beautiful bridges. The obvious and most famous bridge of the city is the Brooklyn Bridge. To finally see it in person was absolutely stunning. The intricate details the architects and engineers did for this bridge back in 1869 is impressive. They opened the bridge to the public in 1883 and now 138 years later it is still standing intact. Truly remarkable. The photo I took looking up at the archway of the bricks is hanging up on my wall and I smile everytime I look at it, knowing I was able to walk on history. 


Before walking the Brooklyn Bridge, I had the honor of visiting the original JW Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn, NY. I knew someone who worked inside the Brooklyn Bethel facilities and he was able to take me up to the roof of the building. The views were beyond spectacular. You could overlook the East River towards the Financial District of NYC and even see the One World Trade Center. The panorama from the beginning of this post is a photo I captured while on the roof of this historical building. Unfortunately, the buildings have been sold and the headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses have since moved upstate, which made this visit extra special. 

While staying in New York in the Summer of 2013, I stayed at the Ravel Hotel in Long Island City right next to another magnificent bridge: the Queensboro Bridge. As beautiful as the Brooklyn Bridge is, the Queensboro Bridge is so intricate in detail that it took my breath away when I saw it. Nothing could compare to the sights I saw from this hotel when sunset came around. If you ever want to see a great sunset view of the city, especially with a backdrop of this bridge, stay at the Ravel Hotel and ask for a balcony room. Even if you don't stay in this hotel, go up to the top floor and admire the view at the rooftop restaurant called Penthouse808 or "The Penthouse." This is what I did one evening and I was beyond thrilled to see this view. 


You will be able to see the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building from the rooftop of this hotel. Again, if you're ever in the city make sure to check out this view one evening. 


When I stayed at the Ravel Hotel they had a shuttle service that would take you to and from the subway station near the hotel. The area is a bit sketchy but with the shuttle service it made it easier and safer. 


One of my favorite architectural buildings of all time will always be the flatiron building. I made it my mission to capture photos of this building and it has forever resided as my background wallpaper on my phone lol. 


While visiting NYC you absolutely must visit Central Park. It wouldn't be called a New York trip without the experience of this beautiful and massive park. This is probably one of my favorite places to be. This is the perfect spot to go when you just need a breather away from the city, despite being in the heart of Manhattan. One of my favorite things about Central Park are the buildings that peak through the foliage and above the lakes to remind you that you're still in New York City. I was able to see quite a few skyscrapers around the edges of Central Park, especially at the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir (last photo below), and the architecture of these buildings are ones to be admired.



Another great park that I love to visit is the Washington Square Park. The Washington Square Park Arch always reminds me of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France. Apparently this arch was first created out of wood before being constructed into marble. One skyscraper that you can see through the archway is the One Fifth Avenue apartments. It's a residential skyscraper in Greenwich Village that has an architectural style of Art Deco. I was immediately able to recognize the Art Deco style since it is such a common theme across Miami Beach. Would love to see the inside of these apartments. 


I hope to one day make my way back to New York City. I've visited so many places in the city yet it never feels like enough and it never gets old. Hoping for the world get a bit safer once this pandemic passes – if it ever will pass – and then I can explore more of the city with my husband this time around. 

If you've enjoyed my journey across New York City and would love to purchase any of these photographs, you can either message me directly for a special deal, or click the link below to visit the New York Photography collection in my shop. These photos are available as art prints and even on home and office decor. I'll be updating the collection often so make sure to check back! 


All purchases are appreciated and shopping small always helps support local artists.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for your support! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for all of the latest updates: www.instagram.com/zuryphotography