Rime Ice Photography

By Zury - January 08, 2021

Since I'm originally from Florida, Winter is still a fairly new concept for me that I'm wrapping my head around. Though I've lived in the Midwest (Chicago) for 2 years now, the sights I have been seeing in Wisconsin has blown my mind 🤯. 

Exhibit A: "Freezing Fog" creates "Rime Ice"

Have you ever heard of freezing fog before? Or even Rime Ice? Yeah, neither have I until I moved up to Wisconsin. Apparently this is a real thing. It's a very dense fog that has rolled through for about a week or two and since the temperatures are below freezing, it creates these amazing crystal-like snow from the frost on all of the trees called "Rime Ice". Check out a sample of what I am referring to:

 

I was amazed at how intricate the details were depending on the tree or branch the frost was occuring on. There was a tree I had been eyeing all week that I wanted to take a photo of near my home. I was fascinated with how white with frost it would get from just this "freezing fog" that would roll through each day. The day before taking these photos, the sun came out and the trees were completely defrosted. The next day, the Rime Ice came back at full force and I had to take advantage of the opportunity to bust out my macro lens to take these photos. I'm glad that I did because a day or two later all of the frost was gone. 


Don't forget to visit the Winter Collection in my shop. Some of these macro photographs can be found in my shop as wall art, mini art prints, or even on home decor items such as pillows, mugs, tech accessories, and more. Click the button below to check out the collection

All purchases are appreciated and shopping small always helps support local artists.

    • Share:

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Thanks for your support! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for all of the latest updates: www.instagram.com/zuryphotography